Depression Among Teenage Girls
Depression is a medical illness that can interfere with your ability to handle your daily activities such as sleeping, eating or managing your school work. It is a state of mind producing serious long-term lowering of enjoyment of life to visualize a happy future.
The teen years can be extremely tough and depression affects teenagers especially teenage girls. Depression occurs in teenage girls when they face some girl issues like discrimination, harassment, peer pressure and so on.
Here are some ways in which teenagers act out when they are depressed:
• Problems at school like a drop in grade, concentration difficulty.
• Running away from home as a way to run from there problems.
• Use of drugs and alcohol to hide their problems which only make it worse.
• Low self-esteem
• Reckless and dangerous behavior like drunkenness, reckless driving and unsafe sex.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
These are some signs you noticed around a depressed teenager; sadness, anger, frequent crying, loss of interest in activities, poor school performance, changes in eating and sleeping habit, agitation or restlessness, feeling of worthlessness and guilt, difficulty concentrating, lack of enthusiasm, thoughts of death or suicide. Whenever you notice these signs in you or in any teenager around you, don't be quiet, speak out, help the person out, seek for help. Don't die in silence.
How to Overcome Depression
• Talk to a trusted adult or call up a helpline to talk to someone about the issue.
• Do not isolate yourself, it makes it worse. Spend time with friends who are active and understanding, who can make you happy.
• Adopt healthy habits. Eat properly, engage in exercises, sleep well and also avoid alcohol and the use of hard drugs.
• Manage stress and anxiety. Do not overwork yourself, take a break once you feel tired and develop confidence in yourself.
I encourage every teenager out there especially my fellow girls, do not let anything get to you, believe in who you are and who you want to become. Do not let your problems or issues weigh you down. Also help a friend out, when you notice they are facing one issue or the other. Death is not an option, you can make it.
Let's stand up for one another. 💪💪😍