GARLIC AND ITS HEALTH BENEFITS
By Angel Okolie
There are many miracles in the world to be celebrated and for me, garlic is the most deserving". Felice Leonardo.
What is garlic?
Garlic is a plant in the allium(onion) family. It is closely related to onions. Each segment of a garlic bulb is called a clove. There are about 10-20 cloves in a single bulb.
Some countries that produce garlic include:
1. China-is the leading producer of garlic in the world.
3. South Korea
Garlic is mainly used for prevention and treatment of various diseases as well as food spice.
1. It aids respiration, digestion, treats leprosy and parasitic infestation.
2. It reduces the risk of cancer.
3. Antioxidant effects.
4. Antimicrobial effects.
5. It enhances detoxification of foreign compound and hepatoprotection.
6. It lowers blood pressure and cholesterol.
7.It reduces blood glucose level in diabetic patients.
8. It is a useful compound with treatment of arthritis, toothache, chronic cough, constipation, snake and insect bite, gynecologic diseases as well as infectious diseases (as antibiotics).
Having known the importance of garlic and its medicinal values, friends add it to your meal especially at this period of COVID19 pandemic.