Search
  • Admin

INEQUALITY IN THE SCIENCE WORLD

Written by Isioma Angel Okolie

It is highly clear that women and girls are in the minority of science. This low enrollment number among women and girls in science can be attributed to a number of factors such as culture interference, gender disparity and gender inequality.


It is really sad that the world where women contribute in its increase is recorded that only about 20% of women and girls engage in STEM activities. What happens to the remaining 80%? Where are they? I could remember vividly well that it was recorded among my sets that only one girl is offering Technical Drawing (T.D) in the midst of 30 boys. It was when I joined Science department that it became two girls offering that subject.


When I joined newly, everyone was trying to discourage me especially the boys claimed that TD is a males course and I have to respect them. But I was able to overcome all that and got into the flow.


My fellow girls, what is happening to us? We should all come out and say NO to Gender Inequality, we need girls that will take that bold stamp to change things. Let's start developing interest In STEM activities. Many women have made it in the past but now is our turn to take it to the next level.

TO ALL MY TECHNOLOGISTS AND THE UPCOMING ONES. HAPPY NATIONAL TECHNOLOGY DAY.





©2020 by Girls Voices Lagos.