INTERNATIONAL DAY OF SOCIAL JUSTICE
Written by Angel Okolie, Girls Advocate
CLOSING THE INEQUALITY GAP TO ACHIEVE SOCIAL JUSTICE
Inequality gap is defined as an unfair situation, in which some groups in the society have more money, opportunity, power etc than others.
Social Justice: can be defined as the way in which human rights are manifested in the everyday lives of people at every level of the society.
In closing the inequality gap for Social Justice, there is a need we realize the types of inequality gap existing in our society.
1. Gender Inequality
2. Racial Inequality
3. Economic Inequality
4. Social Inequality
5. Religion Inequality
6. Traditional Inequality
The world conflict, war, killing we see around us and listen to the media is as the result of inequalities especially racial and religion inequalities. The insurgency attack, Boko Haram and the Fulani Herdsmen killing is seen as religion inequality."I like my religion and I hate your religion".
How we can close the inequality gap for Social Justice:
1. Government should not attach any sentiment to a particular religion, social status, gender, tradition or racial discrimination.
2. The government should practice the full meaning of democracy, 'the government of the people by the people and for the people'. Nepotism should be far from it.
3. The individuals involved should have a peaceful protest, speak out to whomever could be the remedy for the situation.
4. Have an outreach, reach out to churches, mosques, schools, communities etc.
5. Don't take laws into your own hands, seek for justice when necessary.
6. Make effective use of social media and don't keep quiet, speak loud with microphone until your voice is heard.